BEAMSLEY, a township, in the union of Skipton, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (E. by N.) from Skipton; containing 235 inhabitants. This township, which includes Great Beamsley in the parish of Skipton, and Little Beamsley in that of Addingham, is on the eastern side of the river Wharfe, and comprises by computation 1820 acres of fertile land; Beamsley Hall is a handsome mansion pleasantly situated. A tithe rent-charge of £20 is payable to the rector of Addingham. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An hospital was founded and endowed in 1593 by Margaret, Countess of Cumberland, for 13 poor women, 7 of them from Skipton, 5 from Silsden, and one from Stirton with Thorlby; and an estate at Harewood was left to the charity by her daughter, Anne, Countess of Pembroke. In 1809, timber was felled on the lands to the amount of £1176, of which part was invested in the Navy 5 per cents. The inmates have each separate apartments, and the buildings contain a chapel, in which prayers are read daily by a chaplain, who has £20 per annum; the Earl of Thanet, as representative of the founder, is trustee, and the annual income is £332.