Beaksbourne (St. Peter)
BEAKSBOURNE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Bridge, and within the cinque-port liberty of Hastings (of which it is a member), though locally in the hundred of Bridge and Petham, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Canterbury; containing 332 inhabitants. This parish, on account of its distance from Hastings, had formerly a local jurisdiction, a mayor, and a prison; but it is now united with Canterbury, the archbishops of which once had a palace here, long since converted into a private dwelling-house. The parish comprises by measurement 1139 acres, of which 64 are in wood. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6; net income, arising from tithes, £170, with a permanent addition of £50 annually from the Archbishop, who is patron and appropriator.