Beachampton, or Beauchampton (St. Mary)
BEACHAMPTON, or Beauchampton (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 2½ miles (S. by W.) from Stony-Stratford, and 4½ (S. W.) from Wolverton station; containing 248 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500 acres of land, in general clayey and stoney; and is intersected by the river Ouse, and situated near the Grand Junction canal, from which there is a branch canal to Buckingham. Lace-making is carried on. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 16. 5½., and in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £345, and the glebe comprises 31 acres. The church has some remains of the decorated style. William Elmer founded a free grammar school in 1652, and endowed it with freehold lands now producing £70 per annum; he also bequeathed £5 per annum for apprenticing a poor boy, and there are other charities amounting to about £110. The remains of the fine old mansion of Lord Latimer, whose widow was married to Henry VIII., are still to be seen, with the royal arms in different parts.