Bawburgh, or Babur (St. Mary and St. Walstan)
BAWBURGH, or Babur (St. Mary and St. Walstan), a parish, in the union and hundred of Forehoe, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. W.) from Norwich; containing 404 inhabitants. This place is distinguished as the birthplace of St. Walstan; he lived at Taverham, where he died in 1016, and his remains were removed hither, and enshrined in a chapel in the parish church. The resort of pilgrims to visit his shrine greatly enriched the vicar and officiating priests, who, in 1309, rebuilt the church; but the chapel in which the remains of the saint were deposited was demolished in the reign of Henry VIII., though the walls are still a little above the surface of the ground. The road from Norwich to Walton, and the river Yare, run through the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 17. 6.; net income, £100; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The great tithes have been commuted for £227, and there are 93 acres of appropriate glebe. The church is in the early English and later styles; the nave is separated from the chancel by the remains of a beautifully carved screen. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.