BATTYEFORD, a hamlet, in the parish of Mirfield, union of Dewsbury, Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York. This place is situated on the river Calder, near the western extremity of the parish, and on the road between Dewsbury and Elland; the surface is undulated, the soil good, producing earlier crops than the neighbouring districts, and the scenery rich and beautiful. There are several coal-mines, which afford employment to a portion of the population, but the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the woollen manufacture, and in making cards for the machinery in the cotton and woollen mills, which latter branch of industry is carried on to a considerable extent. The Calder and Hebble navigation, and the Manchester and Leeds railway, pass in the vicinity. A district church was erected in 1840, on a site given by Benjamin Wilson, Esq., at an expense of £1778, of which £700 were granted by the Incorporated Society, and the remainder subscribed by the landowners and parishioners: it is dedicated to Christ. The living, a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Vicar, was augmented in 1841 to £150 a year by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.