Battisford (St. Mary)
BATTISFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Needham-Market; containing 520 inhabitants, and comprising 1544a. 3r. 2p. The framework of the late Royal Exchange, London, erected by Sir Thomas Gresham, was made here; Sir Thomas residing in the adjoining parish of Kingshall, and having considerable property in this. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £8. 0. 7½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Edward Paske, whose tithes have been commuted for £400. The church is chiefly in the decorated English style, and consists of a nave and chancel; the interior was thoroughly repaired in 1841. Here was a commandery of the Knights Hospitallers, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £53. 10.