BATLEY-CARR, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish and union of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 1 mile (N.) from Dewsbury; containing 2144 inhabitants. This place, which is situated in a pleasant valley on the Bradford road, forms a suburb of Dewsbury, part of which township is included within its district; and is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in the manufacture of woollen-cloths, pilotcoatings, and druggets. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected at an expense of £2000, raised by subscription, aided by Joshua Ellis, Esq., of Highfield; Mr. Ellis also subscribed £500 towards its endowment, and Mrs. Ellis presented a rich and massive service of communion plate. It was consecrated on the 5th of October, 1841, and is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury.