BATHWICK, a parish, in the union of Bath, hundred of Bath-Forum, E. division of Somerset; containing 4973 inhabitants. This elegant suburb to the city of Bath, from which it is separated by the river Avon, at the beginning of the last century consisted only of a few scattered houses unpleasantly situated on an extensive marsh frequently inundated by the river. From the discovery here of a large portion of those interesting relics which are deposited in the museum at Bath, this place appears to have formed, at a remote period of antiquity, no inconsiderable part of that city, and to have retained its importance during the successive occupation of Bath by the Britons, Romans, and Saxons. Within the last twenty years, it has greatly increased in extent and population, and it now contains some of the most elegant ranges of building which adorn that city: it is connected with Bath by handsome bridges over the Avon. The Kennet and Avon canal, in its course through Sydney-gardens, has been made available to the introduction of a pleasing variety into the grounds; and two elegant iron bridges, which have been erected over it, form an interesting feature in the scenery of the place. There is a manufactory for broad cloth in the parish; and, in addition to the Kennet and Avon canal, the Somersetshire coal canal passes through it. The living comprises a consolidated rectory and vicarage, with the rectory of Wolley annexed; the rectory of Bathwick valued in the king's books at £3. 6. 8., and the vicarage, at £8. 3. 4.: patron, Lord W. Pawlett. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £105, and there are 5 acres of glebe. The church, which was erected in 1820, is a handsome and spacious structure in the decorated English style, with a beautiful altar-piece painted and presented by Mr. B. Barker. In Henriettastreet is Laura chapel, erected in 1796: the living is in the gift of the Rev. E. Tottenham.