Bath-Easton (St. John the Baptist)
BATH-EASTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Bath, hundred of Bath-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 3 miles (N. E.) from Bath; containing, with a portion of the liberty of Easton and Amrill, 2191 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1605 acres, of which 83 are common or waste. The village, divided into Upper and Lower, is situated near the Great Western railway, and on the London road, in a pleasant valley bounded by lofty hills on the west, north, and east, and by the Lower Avon on the south. On the western side is Salisbury hill, on the summit of which are vestiges of an intrenchment, nearly circular, supposed to have been constructed by the Saxons when they besieged Bath, in 577: some antiquaries are of opinion that this hill was anciently crowned by a temple, erected by Bladud in honour of Apollo. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of St. Catherine annexed, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 5., and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £210 payable to the Dean and Canons, and £300 to the incumbent, who has also a glebe of 3 acres. The church is in the later English style, with a square tower 100 feet high; it was enlarged in 1834 by the addition of an aisle. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1818 a national school was built by the late learned and estimable vicar, the Rev. J. J. Conybeare. At a villa here, resided Sir John Miller, whose lady established a literary festival for the recitation of prize poems, which were published under the title of "Poetical Amusements:" she died in 1781.