Bassingham (St. Michael)
BASSINGHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Newark, Lower division of the wapentake of Boothby-Graffo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (E. N. E.) from Newark, and 9 miles (S. W. by S.) from Lincoln; containing 792 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Witham, and comprises 3015a. 28p., of which 1430 acres are arable, about 1494 meadow and pasture, and the remainder roads and waste; the soil is partly clay and partly gravel, and the surface uniformly flat. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 16. 8.; net income, £483; patrons, the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Oxford: the glebe comprises 157 acres. The church is a handsome structure, the tower of which has been rebuilt within the last fifty years. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans, and one for Primitive Methodists.