Bassenthwaite (St. Bridget)
BASSENTHWAITE (St. Bridget), a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Keswick; containing 536 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 7000 acres, much of which is wet heavy land; it includes a portion of the lofty mountain Skiddaw, situated at its south-eastern extremity, and is intersected by the river Derwent. The beautiful lake of Bassenthwaite, or Broadwater, covers about 1500 acres, and the parish is enriched throughout with scenery of a sublime character. There is a mine of antimony in the neighbourhood, and lead-ore has also been found. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £123; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle: the tithes were commuted for land in 1770. In addition to the parochial church, there is a chapel of ease.