Barwell (St. Mary)
BARWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hinckley, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Hinckley; containing 1607 inhabitants. It is situated near the road from Leicester to Hinckley, and near the Hinckley and Coventry canal; and comprises 2345a. 2r. 9p., in equal portions of arable and pasture. The population is partly employed in the manufacture of cotton-stockings, which is carried on to a great extent. The living is a rectory, with that of Elmsthorpe united, valued in the king's books at £20. 10. 7½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. George Mettam: the tithes of Barwell have been commuted for £530, and there are more than 115 acres of glebe. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style. There are chapels of ease at Potters-Marston and Stapleton, in the parish; and a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school is endowed with about £20 per annum, the bequest of Gabriel Newton in 1760.