Barton-Turf (St. Michael)
BARTON-TURF (St. Michael), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 11 miles (N. N. E.) from Norwich; containing 408 inhabitants. It comprises 1599a. 14p., of which 1005 acres are arable, 309 pasture and meadow, 35 woodland, and 167 water; and is situated on the navigable river Ant, which opens out into a large lake or broad on the east side of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Irstead united, valued in the king's books at £3. 13. 4.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Norwich. The great tithes of Barton-Turf have been commuted for £290, and the vicarial for £168, per annum; there is half an acre of glebe belonging to the bishop, and the vicar's glebe comprises 27½ acres, besides 7½ in Neatshead parish. The church contains handsome monuments to the Norris family. Under the inclosure act, about thirty acres of land were allotted to the poor for fuel.