Barton, Steeple (St. Mary)
BARTON, STEEPLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Woodstock, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 4¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Deddington; containing 640 inhabitants, of whom 60 are in the township of Steeple-Barton, and 49 in that of Sesswells-Barton. The parish comprises 1032a. 3r. 17p., chiefly arable land, with about 70 acres of wood and coverts. The Heyford and Enstone road runs through the parish, and the Dorn brook here turns a corn-mill. Many of the females find employment in stitching gloves for the Woodstock manufacturers. A house at Sesswells-Barton, now a farmhouse, belonging to Henry Hall, Esq., is a fine specimen of Tudor architecture; it was built about 1524, and was repaired in 1679, and again in 1840. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 4½.; net income, £78; vicar, the Rev. Robert Wright; impropriator, the Duke of Marlborough. The tithes were commuted for land and an annual money payment in 1795. The church, an ancient and spacious structure now in much want of repair, was granted about 1260 to the canons of Osney, who, in 1536, had a revenue of £28. 10. 5. accruing here: in the chancel are some monuments of the Dormer family. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends, but it is almost disused. A school is supported by the Rev. William Wilson. At Sesswells are the remains of a cromlech, and of a British earthwork.