Barton-in-the-Clay (St. Nicholas)
BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county of Bedford, 3¼ miles (S.) from Silsoe; containing 855 inhabitants. This place, which derives its distinguishing affix from its position at the commencement of the clayey soil under Barton Hill, is situated on the road from Luton to Bedford, and on the border of Hertfordshire: the manor formerly belonged to the monks of Ramsey, since whose possession it has been in the hands of many different families. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 9. 7.; net income, £317; patron, the Crown. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1809. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists; and a school is endowed with property producing about £50 per annum, the bequest of Edward Willes in 1807.