Barton, Earl's (All Saints)
BARTON, EARL'S (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Hamfordshoe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3¾ miles (S. W.) from Wellingborough; containing 1079 inhabitants. This place is situated a mile northward from the navigable river Nene, and about the same distance from the Northampton and Peterborough railway, which has a station here; it comprises 2330 acres of a fertile soil. The greater part of the inhabitants are employed in shoe and mat making. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £183, chiefly arising from 88 acres of land allotted on the inclosure in lieu of tithes; impropriator, T. R. Thornton, Esq., holding 280 acres. The church is a curious edifice, presenting specimens of various styles of architecture, and having a massive tower of rude Saxon construction. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; also a national school erected in 1844, a neat building in the Elizabethan style. Almshouses for three poor people were founded by Mrs. Mary Whitworth in 1823. To the north of the church is a large tumulus or barrow, of Roman origin.