Barton (St. George)
BARTON (St. George), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 6¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Nottingham; containing 382 inhabitants. It is bounded by the river Trent, which is here navigable. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 3. 9.; net income, £360; patron, the Archbishop of York. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, in 1759. The church has several monuments of the Sacheverel family. On the lofty eminence of Brent's hill, south of the village, are the remains of a Roman camp; and in the vicarage farmyard is a Roman pavement.