Barton (St. Peter)
BARTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Wetherley, county of Cambridge, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from Cambridge; containing 319 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1772 acres, of which about 1622 are arable, and 150 pasture. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 11. 3., and in the gift of the Bishop of Ely: the great tithes, belonging to King's College, Cambridge, have been commuted for £400, and those of the incumbent for £135, with a glebe of 36½ acres. In 1839, an act was obtained for inclosing lands.