Agelthorpe, or Agglethorpe
AGELTHORPE, or Agglethorpe, a township, in the parish of Coverham, union of Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 3¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Middleham; containing 195 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1090 acres, and includes within its limits the places called Ashgill, Tupgill, Brackengill, Giles Alley, Scotescue Park, Bird Ridding, and Coverham. The Cover river, which has its source near the great Whernside mountain, here passes on the south, and flows north-eastward to the Ure. The monks of Coverham had land here, valued at £1. 6. 8. per annum; and the village, which is situated on the northern acclivity of the romantic Coverdale, is remarkable for its ancient Hall, now a farmhouse, which once belonged to the Topham family, and afterwards to the Chaytors.