AGDEN, a township, partly in the parish of Rosthern, but chiefly in that of Bowdon, union of Altringham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Nether Knutsford; containing 95 inhabitants. The manor was held by a family of the same name: a moiety of it passed by female heirs to the families of Daniel and Venables; the other moiety, by purchase, to the Savages, who sold it to the family of Venables in 1619. William Venables married the heiress of the Daniels; and in 1727 the heiress of George Venables was married to Sir T. P. Chetwode, Bart., in whose family the property continues. The township comprises 500 acres; the soil is chiefly loam. The Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes through. The tithes of that part in the parish of Bowdon have been commuted for £16. 13., payable to the Bishop of Chester, and £16 to the vicar.