ADSTONE, a chapelry, in the parish of Canons-Ashby, union of Towcester, hundred of Greens-Norton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Towcester; containing 196 inhabitants. Mention occurs of the monks of Canons-Ashby as owners of land here, in the reign of Henry III.: in the time of Edward II. the king granted them the liberty of free warren in all their demesne lands in Adstone, and from this period the monastery seems to have held the manor until the Dissolution. The chapelry comprises by computation 1400 acres of land, about equally divided in arable and pasture; it is partially undulated, and watered by a stream which falls into the river Tow. Good sandstone is quarried for building. The living is a donative; patrons, the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy, who have estates here, and who, with Worcester College, have given a small endowment to secure permanent duty. The chapel, dedicated to All Saints, is remarkable for the simplicity and dignity of its architecture, and is supposed to have been dependent on Canons-Ashby, at which place the inhabitants still continue to bury. In 1813 the corporation repaired the chapel, and in 1843-4 restored the dilapidated parts of the building, adding a chancel.