ADLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Standish, union of Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N.) from Wigan; containing 1130 inhabitants. The Adlington family held lands here in the reign of Edward II., and for many subsequent generations: the Aughtons, also, resided here for several centuries; and, latterly, the knightly family of Clayton were lords of the manor. The village is about midway between the Preston and Wigan and the Preston and Bolton railways; and the road from Wigan to Chorley, and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, also afford means of communication. The townships of Adlington, Anderton, Duxbury, and Heath-Charnock, in the parish, form a district chapelry; and a church, a neat structure in the Norman style, has been erected by Her Majesty's Commissioners, containing 629 sittings, of which 331 are free: the living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, in the gift of the Rector. The tithes have been commuted for £120. 14.