Adisham (Holy Innocents)
ADISHAM (Holy Innocents), a parish, in the union of Bridge, hundred of Downhamford, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Wingham; containing 372 inhabitants. It lies a little to the east of the high road from Canterbury to Dover, and comprises 1815 acres, of which 189 are in wood. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Staple annexed, valued in the king's books at £28. 3. 1½., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £747, and there are about 13 acres of glebe, with a house. The church is a large cruciform edifice with a low tower, in the early style of English architecture, except the large window of the transept, which is in the decorated style; the altar-piece is embellished with curious paintings on wood of the Four Evangelists.