AYTON, EAST, a chapelry, in the parish of Seamer, union of Scarborough, Pickering lythe, N. riding of York, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Scarborough; containing 362 inhabitants. The village is situated in a valley remarkable for the beauty of its scenery, through which flows the river Derwent. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure, with a square tower. The tithes were commuted in 1768, for land and a money payment. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.