Ayott (St. Peter)
AYOTT (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Welwyn, hundred of Broadwater, county of Hertford, 1¼ mile (W. by S.) from Welwyn; containing 240 inhabitants. It comprises about 1200 acres of land; the surface is in general elevated, and the soil a mixture of gravel and clay. The river Marran divides it from the parishes of Welwyn and Codicote: the village is pleasantly situated on the side of the great north road, and is skirted by Brocket Hall Park, the property of Lord Melbourne, a small part of which stands in the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 8. 6½., and in the gift of Lady Mexborough: the tithes have been commuted for £245. 12. 6., and there are 49 acres of glebe. The church, a neat octagonal building, was erected about a century since by a former rector, Dr. Freeman, who built also the steeple, on the opposite side of the churchyard.