Ayott (St. Lawrence)
AYOTT (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Welwyn, hundred of Broadwater, county of Hertford, 3¼ miles (W. by N.) from Welwyn; containing 134 inhabitants. This parish, during the heptarchy, formed part of the possessions of the last of the Saxon monarchs; and a spot in the immediate vicinity, still called Dane End, commemorates a signal defeat of the Danes by King Ethelwulph. The parish comprises by computation 900 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 4.; net income, £180; patron, Lionel Lyde, Esq. The glebe consists of 20 acres. The church is a neat brick edifice, with a handsome portico of stone, of the Doric order, the whole erected in 1787, at an expense of £6000, by Sir Lionel Lyde, from a design by Revett, the celebrated Italian architect: the ruins of the old church, a quarter of a mile distant, are considerable, and under the belfry of its embattled tower is an altar-tomb, with recumbent figures of a knight and his lady.