Aylesbear (St. Christopher)
AYLESBEAR (St. Christopher), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 8 miles (E.) from Exeter; containing, with the tything of Newton-Poppleford, 982 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2701 acres, of which 1033 are arable, 823 meadow and pasture, 92 orchard, 53 coppice, and 700 common or waste land; and is bounded on the east by the river Otter: the surface is hilly, and the soil divided between a stiff cold clay and light sand. There is a silk and ribbon manufactory. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 2. 4.; net income, £123; patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. W. Marker, to whom, and the rector of Huxham, the impropriation belongs. The glebe contains about 44 acres. There is a chapel of ease at Newton-Poppleford.