Aveton-Gifford (St. Andrew)
AVETON-GIFFORD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 3¼ miles (S. E.) from Modbury; containing 1057 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Avon, which is navigable to the English Channel, and over which is a bridge, on the road leading to South Enford. The lords of the manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £38. 1. 8.; net income, £586; patron, James Pitman, Esq. The church is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with later additions.