AUSTHORPE, a township, in the parishes of Whitkirk and Garforth, Lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (E.) from Leeds; containing 173 inhabitants. It is situated near the railway and turnpike-road from Leeds to Selby. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £150. 6., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the vicarial for £6. 19.; there is a glebe of about 2½ acres. John Smeaton, distinguished as a civil engineer, and who rebuilt the Eddystone lighthouse, was born here in the year 1724.