Addingham (St. Peter)

ADDINGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Skipton, partly in the E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, and partly in the Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 6 miles (E. by S.) from Skipton; containing 1753 inhabitants, of whom 1527 are in the township of Addingham. It is situated on the western side of the river Wharfe, and within the liberty of Clifford's Fee, and comprises about 4000 acres, of which 900 are open common: the soil is fertile, and the surface varied and pleasing; freestone of good quality is abundant, and extensively quarried. Farfield Hall, in the parish, is a handsome mansion in the Italian style, originally built by the Earl of Burlington, and is finely situated, commanding beautiful views of the river and of the picturesque valley through which it flows. The village, which consists of irregularly detached houses, extends nearly a mile in length: a portion of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and worsted mills, and in hand-loom weaving. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 7. 8½.; income, about £400, with a glebe-house beautifully situated; patron, the Rev. William Thompson. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £197, and the glebe consists of 20 acres. The church, which was rebuilt in 1757, is a neat structure with a square tower, and is seated on an eminence overlooking the river; it contains 450 sittings. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans. On Counter Hill, about a mile from the village, are the remains of a Roman encampment, and some traces of a Roman road. A massive and antique ring of gold was found in the churchyard some years since.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, published in 1848.

Navigation

Preface
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z