Aston-Upon-Trent (All Saints)
ASTON-UPON-TRENT (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 6½ miles (S. E.) from Derby; comprising the townships of Aston, Shardlow, and Great Wilne; and containing 1952 inhabitants, of whom 646 are in Aston township. The manor was granted after the Reformation to Sir William Paget, and subsequently passed to the Ropers, from whom it was purchased in 1649 by the Holden family. A grant of a market and fair was obtained in 1256, but both have been long discontinued. The township of Aston contains 1770 acres of arable and pasture land, the soil of which is in some parts gravel and in others clay; the surface is generally level. It lies on the road from London to Manchester; and the Great Trunk navigation joins the river Trent below Shardlow, at which place are extensive wharfs. The parish contains some plaster pits. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 15.; net income, £1030; patron, E. A. Holden, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1762; there is a glebe-house, with glebe now comprising 383 acres. A chapel of ease has been erected at Shardlow; and the Wesleyans have a place of worship. In the village are some subscription schools; and six almshouses for widows, the rector having the nomination of the inmates.