Aston, North (St. Mary)
ASTON, NORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Woodstock, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Deddington, and 8 (N. N. E.) from Woodstock; comprising by measurement 1260 acres, and containing 289 inhabitants. The Oxford canal forms a boundary of the parish on the east. The views from the grounds of the mansion here are very extensive, and of the most pleasing description. On the village green, which is one of the prettiest in the county, are some fine elms, and other full-grown trees. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 10.; net income, £133; patron, J. Wills, Esq. The church consists of a nave, aisles, and chancel, of unequal height, with a tower picturesquely covered with ivy; in a chantry on the south side of the chancel is an elegant tomb, with recumbent effigies of a male and female, supposed to be those of Sir John Anne and Alicia his wife.