Aston (All Saints)

ASTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Rotherham, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 8¼ miles (E. by S.) from Sheffield; containing, with the hamlet of Aughton and part of Ulley, 763 inhabitants. This place is noticed in Domesday book, in which a church is mentioned as existing here. The parish is bounded on the western side by the river Rother, is on the road from Worksop to Sheffield, and is intersected by that from Rotherham to Mansfield; it comprises about 3000 acres, chiefly arable land, with not more than about 30 acres of wood. The surface is bold and elevated, and the views extend over the hills of North Derbyshire and the Yorkshire moors; the soil is mostly light, very fertile, and rests on a stratum of coarse dark sandstone, beneath which coal of good quality is found. The Midland railway passes on the west for a distance of two miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 15. 2½., and in the patronage of the Duke of Leeds: the tithes have been commuted for £740, and there are about 34 acres of glebe. The church is a neat stone building, with a tower at the west end: the chancel, which has recently been renovated by the incumbent, the Rev. W. Alderson, contains kneeling marble effigies of the "good Lord D'Arcy," who died in 1628, and three of his wives, a fourth having survived him; the east window is of stained glass, and occupied chiefly with the arms and impalements of the D'Arcy family. In the hamlet of Aughton are places of worship for Calvinists and Wesleyans. The parish is remarkable for having been for many years the residence of the Rev. William Mason, the poet, its then rector, who here composed some of his most beautiful works, and who reduced to practice his rules for English gardening, in the garden which pertained to the rectorial manse: he died in 1797, and was buried in the church, where is a tablet to his memory.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, published in 1848.

Navigation

Preface
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z