ASTLEY-BRIDGE, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish and union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 1½ mile (N.) from Bolton, on the roads to Blackburn and Belmont; containing 2325 inhabitants. This parish was formed in 1844, out of the townships of Little Bolton and Sharples, under the act of the 6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37. It comprises 1468 acres, the rivers Astle and Eagle forming its southern and eastern boundary. The population is chiefly employed in bleach-works and cotton-mills. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately; net income, £150. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected in 1847, at a cost of £3000, raised by subscription aided by public grants: the body of the edifice is in the Norman style; and the tower, surmounted by a spire, is early English. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and there are some national schools.