ASSELBY, a township, in the parish and union of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Howden; containing 293 inhabitants. This place, in Domesday-book Aschilebi, was held at the Conquest chiefly by the Bishop of Durham and Earl Morton; the Aislabys subsequently had property here, and are supposed to have taken their name from that of the township. It comprises by computation 1200 acres; the land is very rich and prolific, and the gardens supply large quantities of fruit for the markets in the West riding. Asselby Island, containing about 10 acres, is seated in the river Ouse, which flows at a short distance on the south of the village; it belongs to the parish of Drax. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.