ASPULL, a township, in the ecclesiastical district of Haigh, parish and union of Wigan, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (N. E. by E.) from Wigan; containing 2772 inhabitants. The families of de Lathom, Ince, and Gerrard had lands here, and the last named anciently held a manorial court. The manor was transferred by sale to the Earl of Balcarres by William Gerrard, Esq.; it now appertains to the manor of Haigh. The township comprises 1879 acres, of which 1145 are pasture, 377 arable, 40 woodland, and 100 common or waste; and abounds with Cannel coal and other seams of various quality, worked by the Earl of Balcarres and others. There is a cotton-mill of 80-horse power. Hindley Hall, in this township, is on the border of the township of Hindley, which see. There is a school with an endowment of £11 per annum. The tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £214.