Askwith, or Asquith
ASKWITH, or Asquith, a township, in the parish of Weston, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 3 miles (N. W.) from Otley; containing, with Askwith-Moorside, 398 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 3180 acres, and includes the hamlets of Upper and Lower Snowden: the village, which is scattered, is pleasantly situated on the northern acclivities of Wharfdale, and the river Wharfe winds its devious course on the south and west. The tithes were commuted for land, in 1779. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.