Askham-Richard, or Little Askham (St. Mary)
ASKHAM-RICHARD, or Little Askham (St. Mary), a parish, in the Ainsty wapentake, union and W. riding of York, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Tadcaster; containing 232 inhabitants. In the 9th of Edward II. the priory of Burlington held this manor; the patronage of the church was exercised by the nuns of Monkton till the Dissolution, when the privilege was granted to the Vavasour family. The parish comprises by measurement 929 acres, of which about three-fourths are arable, and the remainder meadow or pasture; the surface is generally level, and the soil of a gravelly and clayey quality. The road from Leeds to York, and the York and North-Midland railway, cross each other near this place; where also is Askham Hall. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £200: patron, Col. Croft. The tithes were commuted for land in 1813. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.