Askham-Bryan, or Great Askham (St. Nicholas)
ASKHAM-BRYAN, or Great Askham (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from York; containing 342 inhabitants. This place derives its name partly from Bryan Fitz-Alain, who held it of the honour of Richmond, paying 5s. per annum to the warden of the castle of that town: the families of Mowbray, Stapleton, and Grey have also owned the estate. The parish comprises by measurement 1808 acres, three-fourths of which are arable, and the rest meadow, with some few plantations; the surface is flat, and the soil composed chiefly of gravel and clay. Contiguous to the church passes the York and North-Midland railway. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron, Colonel Croft, of Stillington Park. The tithes were commuted for land, by an inclosure act, in 1811. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.