ASKERTON, a township, in the parish of Lanercost, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 6¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Brampton; containing 496 inhabitants. The castle here, a small building with lofty turrets, situated on a rocky knoll on the southern bank of the rivulet Cambeck, and commanding a most extensive view of the adjacent country, is partly ruinous and used as stables; but much of it has been recently modernised in the interior, and the building is now inhabited by a farmer. It was in ruins in Camden's time, but was repaired by the Dacres in the 16th century, and over a mantel-piece in what was once the dining-hall is an inscription, "Tho. Carleton, Jun., 1575," the date of the repair. Askerton comprises the ancient parish of Kirk Cambeck, the church of which was destroyed by the Scots in the reign of Edward II.; the tithes are held on lease from the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle.