ASKERNE, a township, in the parish of Campsall, union of Doncaster, Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 7¼ miles (N.) from Doncaster; containing 468 inhabitants. Askerne, during the present century, has risen from an inconsiderable village into an elegant and fashionable watering-place. It is pleasantly situated near the road, on a rocky acclivity ascending gently from the foot of an extensive plain; and its hotels and bathing establishments, surrounded by gardens, orchards, and plantations, all agreeably harmonising together, give it an interesting and commanding appearance. Here is a sheet of water called Askerne pool, covering seven acres, a few yards from which rises a sulphureous spring, highly celebrated for more than a century as a powerful remedy in scrofulous, rheumatic, and gouty complaints: it is also reputed for its virtue in dyspepsia, palsy, and pulmonary consumption. Boarding-houses have been erected for the accommodation of visiters. The tithes were commuted for land in 1814.