Ashton (St. Michael)
ASHTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Potterspury, hundred of Cleley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Northampton; containing 417 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the river Tow, comprises by measurement 1100 acres of highly fertile land, chiefly arable; and is situated near the Grand Junction canal, and intersected by the London and Birmingham railway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £275, arising from 235 acres of land allotted in lieu of tithes on the inclosure of the parish. The church is a very ancient structure, with a square tower, and contains a Norman font, several good brasses, and a figure of a Knight Templar. There is a place of worship for Baptists.