Ashmore (St. Nicholas)
ASHMORE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Cranborne, Shaston division of Dorset, 5 miles (S. E.) from Shaftesbury; containing 242 inhabitants. It comprises 2342 acres, of which 643 are common or waste; the soil is heavy and flinty, and the ground elevated, rising 720 feet above the level of the sea. The living, which formerly belonged to the abbey of Tewkesbury, is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 9½.; net income, £389; patron, the Rev. C. Chisholme. The glebe consists of about 30 acres. The church, erected in 1433, is a plain edifice of stone and flint.