ASHLEY, a township, in the parish of Bowdon, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of Cheshire, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Knutsford; containing 377 inhabitants. It comprises 2072 acres, of a clayey and sandy soil. Ashley Hall, the ancient manorial mansion, which is approached by a fine avenue of stately walnut-trees, is remarkable for containing eleven original portraits of gentlemen of this county, ancestors of the Grosvenors, Cholmondeleys, and other families, who formed a club during the progress of the Pretender through the north, in 1715, when the expediency of joining his standard was debated, and the casting vote against the measure was given by Thomas Asheton, the owner of the mansion. Arden House, with 140 acres of land adjacent, is the property of John Orrell, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £197 payable to the Bishop of Chester, and £8 to the vicar.