Ashfield (St. Mary)
ASHFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bosmere and Claydon, hundred of Thredling, E. division of Suffolk, 2½ miles (E.) from Debenham; comprising 1565a. 2r. 19p., and containing, with the hamlet of Thorpe, 343 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patron and impropriator, Lord Henniker, who has commuted the tithes for £465. The glebe comprises three acres, with a small cottage. The church has long been dilapidated, though parts of the walls and of the steeple remain: the cemetery, however, is still used for interment. There is a chapel of ease at Thorpe, dedicated to St. Peter: it is in the English style, with a round tower, which is very old and must have belonged to a more ancient edifice; the chapel was repaired by George Pitt, Esq., in 1739. There is also a burial-ground at Thorpe.