Ashelworth (St. Andrew, or St. Bartholomew
ASHELWORTH (St. Andrew, or St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Gloucester, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, though locally in the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5½ miles (N. by W.) from Gloucester; containing 594 inhabitants. It is skirted on the south-east by the navigable river Severn, and comprises about 1600 acres, of which two-thirds are pasture, and one-third arable. Several parts of the manor-house display considerable antiquity; and the parsonage, now a farmhouse, affords a peculiarly fine specimen of wood-work. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 2. 11.; net income, £187; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The tithes were commuted for land and an annual money-payment, under an inclosure act, in 1797. The church consists of a nave, south aisle, and two chancels, with a tower and spire.