Ashcott (All Saints)
ASHCOTT (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Glastonbury; containing, with the hamlet of Pedwell, 843 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the Polden hills, and intersected by the road from Glastonbury to Bridgwater, formerly belonged to the abbey of Glastonbury. A fair for cattle is held on January 9th. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Shapwick: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £158. 16., the vicarial for £155, and £9. 10. are paid to the rector of Walton-cum-Street; the glebe consists of 45 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1737 Richard Miles bequeathed a sum of money, since vested in land, now producing £70 per annum, which is distributed among the poor.