ASHCOMBE, a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Exminster, Wonford and S. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (E.) from Chudleigh; containing 297 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the sea-coast, and comprises 2000 acres, of which 500 acres of common and waste have recently been planted; the remainder is arable, pasture, and orchard: the soil is a red loam. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £242, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church, a cruciform structure in the early and decorated English styles, was dedicated 22nd Nov. 1259; it contains many ancient stalls of carved oak. During some recent repairs, part of an old breviary was found between the ceiling and the roof, written in the reign of Richard II.; it is now in the British Museum.