Ashby Parva (St. Peter)
ASHBY PARVA (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Lutterworth; containing 179 inhabitants. It comprises about 750 acres, of which three-fourths are pasture land; the soil is clay and gravel. Within a mile and a half is a station on the Midland railway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £98: the glebe consists of 34 acres. Mrs. Goodacre, in 1830, bequeathed the whole of her property, amounting to £6574, after payment of all debts and legacies, to her niece Mrs. Bowyer; who, in pursuance of the testator's will, expended a part of the money in erecting almshouses for eight widows, and two schoolrooms with dwelling-houses; and laid out the residue in the purchase of estates producing £150 a year for their endowment. On the inclosure of the parish in 1665, fourteen acres of land, yielding £28 per annum, were allotted towards the reduction of the poor-rates, and three acres, producing £7 per annum, to the repair of the church.