Ashby, Mears (All Saints)
ASHBY, MEARS (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Hamfordshoe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Wellingborough; containing 496 inhabitants. It comprises 1500 acres, of which more than two-thirds are arable land; and is beautifully situated about a mile from the road between Wellingborough and Northampton, and two miles distant from the navigable river Nene. There is an extensive quarry of excellent freestone, from which many mansions have been built. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 9., and in the gift of Mrs. Maria Newby; net income, £235: the glebe consists of about 20 acres, with a house in good repair. The south side of the church has been rebuilt; the tower is very ancient. A free school is endowed with land assigned, on the inclosure of waste grounds, in lieu of property purchased with a bequest of £200 by Sarah Kinloch, in 1720; the rental is about £60. Land also, producing about £30 per annum, is appropriated to the repair of highways and bridges.